Workshop on Biodiversity Catalogue
The evolving biodiversity informatics infrastructures being assembled around the world are still fragmented, operate with little coordination, and Web Service layers are often poorly and inconsistently documented. A global registry of biodiversity-related services will help potential users to discover and understand service functions, interfaces, and behaviour; and will foster the growth of service-based applications and workflows. the 7th Framework project BioVeL has implemented the Biodiversity Catalogue to meet this need. pro-iBiosphere has made recommendations for enhancements that will secure the registry at the heart of a future Biodiversity Knowledge Management System (OBKMS).
The workshop introduced the basic concepts and features of the Biodiversity Catalogue. More detailed functions have been explained during a live demonstration of registration of services that have been created during the Naturalis "data enrichment hackathon" in March 2014. The workshop also discussed the prospects of the Biodiversity Catalogue as a global registry for biodiversity-related Web Services as well as mechanisms for content curation.
- Biodiversity Catalogue homepage
- BioVeL homepage
- Minutes of the joint BioVeL and pro-iBiosphere workshop on "Service Registries and the Biodiversity Catalogue"
- pro-iBiosphere report on "Strategies for improved cooperation and interoperability between infrastructures"
- Top tips on creating Web Services
Welcome (Anton Güntsch)
Introduction to the Biodiversity Catalogue (Niall Beard)
Live registration of services (Cherian Mathew)
Discussion: towards a global documentation infrastructure for biodiversity-related web services (All)
- Your questions?
- Do we need a global registry for Biodiversity-related services? Incentives for service providers?
- Do we need to synchronise with similiar registries in other (relevant) domains? How can this be achieved?
- How can we maintan the content? Completness? Quality? Updating?
- How can we promote the catalogue?
- Anton Güntsch - Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem (BGBM)
- Cherian Mathew - Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem (BGBM)
- Chuck Miller - Missouri Botanical Garden
- David Patterson - Global names project
- Patricia Mergen - Royal Museum for Central Africa
- Aaike De Wever - Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
- Marc Reynders - Botanic Garden Meise
- Kevin Richards - Landcare Research
- Jerôme Degreef - Botanic Garden Meise
- Ross Mounce - University of Bath
- Terry Catapano - Plazi
- Siti Munirah binti Mat Yunoh - Forest Research Institute Malaysia/ Kew Botanic Garden London
- Aleksandra Nenadic - University of Manchester
- Niall Beard - University of Manchester
- Michel Chauvet - UMR AMAP
- Donat Agosti - Plazi
- Guido Sautter - Plazi
- Soraya Sierra - Naturalis
- Jonathan Giddy - Cardiff University
- Quentin Groom - Botanic Garden Meise
- Claus Weiland - Senckenberg Nature Research Institute
- Nicolas Noé - Belgian Biodiversity Platform
- Rob Guralnick - University of Colorado (VerNet project)
- Henry Engledow - Botanic Garden Meise
- Karol Marhold - Institute of Botany, Bratislava
- Bart Aelterman - Research Institute for Nature and Forest (INBO)
- Anne-Sophie Archambeau - National Museum of Natural History (MNHN)
- Paul-Andre Duchesne - Royal Belgian Institute for Natural Sciences
- Walter Berendsohn - Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem (BGBM)
- Natacha Beau - Botanic Garden Meise
- Bourgoin Thierry - National Museum of Natural History (MNHN)
- Anna Hajdu - Sustainable Amsterdam
- Ann Bogaerts - Botanic Garden Meise
- Sabrina Eckert - Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem (BGBM)
- Andreas Müller - Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem (BGBM)
- Wouter Addink - SP2000 Secretariat
- Ana Casino - Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities (CETAF)
- Robert Hoehndorf - Aberystwyth University
- Petra De Block - Botanic Garden Meise
- Alex Hardisty - Cardiff University
- Sylvia Mota de Oliveira - Naturalis Biodiversity Center
- Christian Köhler - ZFMK Bonn
- Peter Hovenkamp - Naturalis Biodiversity Center
- Christina Flann - Species 2000
- Régine Vignes - National Museum of Natural History (MNHN)
- Barbara Herrero Cangas - Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities (CETAF)
- Claudia C. Soliz Gamboa - Naturalis Biodiversity Center
- Eduard Jacob - International Federation of Library Associations
- Daniel Mietchen - Museum für Naturkunde (MfN)