Other biodiversity projects and initiatives
From pro-iBiosphere Wiki
Other European Commission (FP7) projects on biodiversity
- BIOFRESH : To build a global information platform for scientists and ecosystem managers with databases of global freshwater biodiversity
- BioVeL : Virtual e-laboratory that supports research on biodiversity issues using large amounts of data from cross-disciplinary sources
- CReATIVE-B : Coordination of Research e-Infrastructures Activities Toward an International Virtual Environment for Biodiversity
- EUBrazilOpenBio : EU-Brazil Open Data and Cloud Computing e-Infrastructure for Biodiversity
- EUBON [TBA]: Assessing global biological resources: the European contribution to the Global Earth Observation Biodiversity Observation Network (GEO BON)
- EBONE : EBONE was an EU FP7 project running until March 2012. The project has developed a system or data collection that can be used for international comparable assessments.
- i4Life : Establishing of a virtual research community interlinking and harmonizing the taxonomic catalogues to create an enhanced list of the entire set of organisms
- iMarine : Hybrid Data Infrastructure service & Virtual Research Environments
- LifeWatch : E-Science European Infrastructure for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research
- PESI : A Pan-European Species directories Infrastructure
- SYNTHESYS : Produce an integrated European resource for research users in the natural sciences.
- ViBRANT : To set up the means, tools and infrastructure to produce a more rational and a more effective framework for European biodiversity research
- WORLDIVERSITY [TBA]: Linking global species richness and beta diversity to individual species distributions at multiple phylogenetic and spatial scales
Other biodiversity projects
- European Information System for Alien Species [TBA]: To facilitate enhanced knowledge gathering and sharing through a network of experts, providing support to a European Invasive Alien Species (IAS) information system
- GN US project [TBA]
- iDigBio : Integrated Digitized Biocollections, the National Resource for Advancing Digitization of Biodiversity Collections (ADBC) funded by the National Science Foundation (U.S.)
- Pl@antNet : Plant Computational Identification & Collaborative Information System
Other biodiversity initiatives
- BHL-Europe : Brings together existing EU digital collections of biodiversity literature and will provide access by a multilingual web portal
- TDWG : Affiliated with the International Union of Biological Sciences & focusing on the development of standards for the exchange of biological/biodiversity data
- BISE : Biodiversity Information System for Europe is a partnership between the EC & the EEA. It is a single entry point for data & information on biodiversity in the EU
- CBD : The conservation, the sustainable use of the components of biological diversity, the fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising out of the utilization of genetic resources
- Dryad : International repository of data, governed by a consortium of journals, underlying peer-reviewed articles in the basic and applied biosciences
- EDIT : Network of excellence gathering 28 major institutions devoted to knowing the living world better with the support of the EC
- eMonocot : eMonocot aims to create a global online resource for monocot plants.
- Encyclopedia of Life (EoL) : To increase awareness & understanding of living nature in an Encyclopedia of Life that gathers, generates & shares knowledge in a digital resource
- ELIXIR : Pan-European research infrastructure for biological information managing and safeguarding the massive amounts of data being generated every day by publicly funded research.
- GBIF : Established by governments in 2001 to encourage free and open access to biodiversity data via the Internet. GBIF promotes and facilitates the mobilization, access, discovery and use of biodiversity information.
- IPBES : IPBES is an interface between the scientific community and policy makers that aims to build capacity for and strengthen the use of science in policy making
- IAPT : To promote all aspects of botanical systematics and its significance to the understanding and value of biodiversity
- IPNI : Database of the names and associated basic bibliographical details of seed plants, ferns and lycophytes
- KeyToNature : Range of new, much easier and paper-free identification tools, for use within schools and universities across Europe
- MycoBank : On-line database aimed as a service to the mycological and scientific society by documenting mycological nomenclatural novelties and associated data
- Nordic LifeWatch [TBA]: Aiming at creating the e-science infrastructure for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research. Funded by NordForsk
- Species 2000 : "Federation" of database organisations working closely with users, taxonomists and sponsoring agencies to create a validated checklist of all the world's species
- BioNET : International initiative dedicated to promoting the science & use of taxonomy
- VertNet : Harnessing new technologies to meet the needs of both interdisciplinary science and research relevant to a changing world